Sunday, November 3, 2013

Schooling Continues for a Lifetime



Schooling Continues for a Lifetime

“Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths.  Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; for You I wait all the day long.” –Psalm 25:4-5 (ESV).

Eugene W. Peterson in The Message version of the Bible renders Psalm 25:4-5 thus:  “Show me how you work, God; School me in your ways.  Take me by the hand; Lead me down the path of truth  You are my Savior, aren’t you?”  This past week on Thursday I went back to the building where I started first grade, the very place where I began a love for learning and a pursuit of knowledge that has been with me thus far through the many decades of my life.  I pray that the love for learning will continue with me as long as I live, for indeed, bar impairment to mind or loss of cognizance by some unfortunate illness, learning, or “schooling” should continue for a lifetime.  I like the practical and straight-forward way Peterson prays this verse:  “Take me by the hand, Lord, and lead me down the path of truth; make me know your ways; show me and school me!” 

I am a journalizer and note-taker, sometimes writing notes hither-and-yon where they come to me, but oftentimes systematically putting them in a “daily” journal, the dates, as time-reminders of where I was, what I was about, and how God was “schooling” me.  In the wide margins of my The Message Bible, I have written and dated events that show unequivocally how God took my hand and schooled me in His ways.  And at Psalm 25 are recorded several events since 2007(the year I added the Peterson Bible to my personal library).  These marginal notes  show without a doubt that God is still in the business of schooling me, teaching me His truth and leading me to have an understanding of His ways and His providential care and direction.

In a timely book by Leigh Mcleroy entitled The Sacred Ordinary: Embracing the Holy in the Everyday (Grand Rapids: Revell, 2008, p. 40) she asks, concerning our continuously learning from God in the “school of life” and sometimes in the “school of hard knocks”:  “Are you moving forward in your spiritual instruction?  Does your understanding match your spiritual ‘age’?  Are you being nurtured by God’s commands so that you may begin to walk in obedience?  Do you love your lessons because you love your Teacher?  Stay in school.  There is still so much to learn.”

Jesus encouraged us to continue our schooling.  He invited:  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”  (Matthew 11:29-30).  This past week I went back to my “roots” of learning, the building where I started first grade, a country schoolhouse now restored and set up as a community gathering place.  Much learning occurred within those walls when it served as a country school house.  Many went out from that place, inspired by dedicated and giving teachers, to pursue worthwhile lives that would contribute good and wholesome influence upon society.

This is my prayer for continuous schooling: 
Lord, Teacher, I want to learn the lessons You have for me every day.  Keep my mind alert and my understanding sharp.  In all my ways I want to acknowledge You so that you can ‘school’ me—direct my paths—show me.  Amen. 
                                                                                                                       –Ethelene Dyer Jones  11.03.2013

No comments:

Post a Comment