Sunday, August 10, 2014

How Can the Christian Deal with Worries?

Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”
-1 Thessalonians 5:18 (ESV).

If we admit it, most of us would say we are worriers. We have a name for overly-concerned people, and it does not sound complimentary. We call them “worrywarts.” Such a person is unduly concerned, tends to be agitated, fret, agonize and brood over conditions, be troubled, burdened.

I have been guilty in my lifetime of trying to convince worrywarts of the uselessness of being overly concerned to the point of being incapable of making sound decisions or acting on the information one has at hand and anticipating that, upon doing one’s best, things will work out.

While I give this free advice, I myself could have been harboring unexpressed worries of my own, allowing them to fester and make a proverbial mountain out of a molehill in my own deliberations and decisions.

If we look at situations squarely, we then realize that worry seldom leads us to solve problems, but that it certainly lowers our capacity to deal with them. Paul had some very sound advice for how we can handle worry: “Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” How is it possible for us to give thanks in all circumstances? I had a painful fall more than two months ago: no broken bones but a wound incurred that has been both painful and slow to heal. Do I worry about the incapacity from this wound, or do I thank God that I didn’t sustain a broken leg or hip? I chose to do the latter, and I have tried very hard to follow medical and wound center instructions for care of the wound. I thank God that I was not hurt much worse. I thank God for adequate medical attention to help me through this period of inconvenience.

I recently saw this wise saying circulated on one of the postings received on Facebook: “One act of thanksgiving made when things go wrong is worth a thousand when things go well.” This seems akin to Paul’s teaching us, “Give thanks in all circumstances.”

How, then, can I go about “giving thanks in all circumstances?” First, it takes a positive mind-set. Begin by listing all the possible good that can come out of a situation about which you are worried. Thank God for the circumstance no matter how oppressive it seems to you. Two benefits can come from this action. You have thought about the possible good and you have turned to God to thank Him. Both of these bolster faith. Even with these two actions, you will grow stronger from the experience.

Think about the wonderful passage penned by Paul in Ephesians 6 when he urges the Christian to “put on the whole armor of God.” In Ephesians 6:13 he states, “and having done all, stand…” Oftentimes, after thanking God for whatever circumstance befalls us, we just have to stand and wait. Arthur Gordon, a notable devotional writer of the last century stated, “If you have a problem, do the best you can with it. Then leave it in God’s hands.” Instead of worrying, pray: “Father, thank You for this problem. I know You will work it out for my good and for Your glory.” Amen. –Ethelene Dyer Jones 08.10.2014

No comments:

Post a Comment