Sunday, September 28, 2014

Writing Our Own Spiritual Diary

The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord, ‘Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: Write in a book for yourself all the words that I have spoken to you.” –Jeremiah 30:1-2 (ESV) 
 
My heart overflows with a pleasing theme: I address my verses to the king; my tongue is like the pen of a ready scribe.” –Psalm 45:1 (ESV).

The context of Jeremiah’s command from the Lord God to ‘write in a book for yourself all the words that I have spoken to you,’ encompassed the time many of the people of Israel had been taken away into Babylonian captivity. Jeremiah began his prophetic ministry in the thirteenth year of King Josiah’s reign, and continued until the prophet’s death which presumably occurred in Egypt where he had been taken against his will after the fall of Jerusalem in 586 B. C. Jeremiah was faithful in following the Lord’s command to “write in a book,” and we have the prophetic book of Jeremiah. It was to be an encouragement to the exiles when they returned to the Promised Land of Israel after their captivity in Babylon. It also has withstood as an inspired book of the Bible. Its themes on God’s judgment, His displeasure at the infidelity and sin of His chosen people, and His determination to restore a remnant of people unto Himself are all strong themes in Jeremiah’s book, written on the direction of and in obedience to God.

I receive daily and read with interest Dr. David Jeremiah’s devotional with the general title, “Turning Point.” The subject for Saturday, September 27, 20114 was on keeping a spiritual diary for one’s own personal growth and for the encouragement it can be to others who might read it, even in the future when the diarist has left this life to move on to heaven. The appeal to Christians to keep a spiritual journal or diary ended with this excellent quotation from Ron Klug: “A journal is an aid to concentration, a mirror for the soul, a place to generate and capture ideas, a safety valve for the emotions, and a powerful tool for spiritual growth.” I read Mr. Klug’s quotation with great interest, and copied it into my quotation dictionary so I could have it handy as a reminder. I felt grateful that for many years I have had the habit of journalizing, of keeping a gratitude journal, a diary, a spiritual journey notebook. 
 
I have Psalm 45:1 taped to my desk where I refer to it almost daily. I like its statement: My heart overflows with a good theme.” Even when I may not be having the most productive or happiest of days, if I can record something good about the day—and write about even the disappointing so that I can see in future how God worked His mercy through the situation—then my journal-keeping has helped me to grow as a Christian. The Psalmist said he addressed his verses to “the king.” I like to think that as I am writing, whether a journal entry, a poem, an essay, a newspaper column, a note of encouragement, a newsletter for some organization, and especially these daily devotionals, that the King of Glory is motivating and helping me. I have recently read some of my personal journals from several years ago when I was enduring deep concern, caregiving, coping with serious illnesses and other perplexities of life. Viewed from the present perspective, I can see how God’s mercy provided even more than I was asking Him to supply. I can well prove two of Mr. Krug’s benefits of keeping a journal: Rereading my own, they were ‘a mirror for the soul” and “a powerful tool for spiritual growth.” God shows me through the pages of my own journals what He promised in Lamentations 3:22: “The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases. His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.” Why not begin to keep your own spiritual journal? I think you’ll be glad you did from the benefits you will receive. -Ethelene Dyer Jones 09.28.2014

No comments:

Post a Comment