Sunday, May 17, 2015

A Deep Question: ‘For What Is Your Life?’

Yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” –James 4:14. :For my days pass away like smoke, and my bones burn like a furnace…My days are like an evening shadow: I wither like grass.” –Psalm 1103:3 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.” –John 5:14 (ESV)

Having just experienced a birthday this past week, I have given much thought to the question,”For what is your life?”

It is true, as James writes in 4:14, we “do not know what tomorrow will bring.” He likens the span of one’s life as a ‘mist that vanishes.” Wispy, non-permanent. The psalmist likened one’s life to smoke, again a vaporous element. Think how quickly the evening shadows pass into nightfall. Life is like that.

Chief Crowfoot, and American Indian Chief, wrote in 1821:
“What is life?
It is the flash of a firefly in the night…
The breath of a buffalo in the winter time…
A little shadow which runs across the grass
And loses itself in the sunset.”

The metaphorical representation of life by James and the Psalmist, I think, are geared to make us look soberly at the time allowed us for earthly life. At best, and even with an accrual of years beyond the “fourscore” accounting, life passes rapidly. I’ve done much remembering in this week of my birthday. Although I’ve had a happy life, and I want to think a useful and worthwhile life, I realize that it has passed quickly with no part of it standing still or seeming to pass slowly. Our time moves on; that is a certainty.

What is life?
It is our breath from God, the Creator of the Universe.
Our time on earth is a little while, compared to eternity.
Each of us came to earth for a purpose and a reason known to God.
He knew us before we were conceived in the womb.
Happy the one who can walk with God and find and perform His purpose for life.
I am a child of God.
Jesus called me, as a child of God, the light of the world.
A light’s purpose is to shine, to penetrate darkness, to illuminate.
I emanate a light ignited by His divine spark within my life.
I am not thinking of myself more highly than I ought to think when I consider that light has a purpose.
Jesus declared me, a believer, a light that shines in the darkness of this world.
Although my time is shorter than it has been, some more time seems still allotted to me.
I rejoice to know that to have life is to have light.
‘For what is life?’ It is light.
In the evening light casts a long shadow.
May this be true for those of us who have been granted a long life with purposefulness still intact.
Jesus urges, “So live that your light shines.”
-Ethelene Dyer Jones 05.17.2015

No comments:

Post a Comment