Sunday, October 2, 2016

A Prayer for Faithful Believers

For God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus. And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ to the glory and praise of God.” -Philippians 1:8-11 (ESV).

This prayer of Paul (and Timothy) to the Christians at Philippi is given early in his letter, in the paragraph beginning with verse 3 where Paul states, “I thank God in all my remembrance of you,” and continues in verse 4 with “always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy.”

Having been a minister’s wife, and working in partnership with my husband to teach and lead in churches in which we had the blessed privilege to serve, I think I know something of the depth of Paul’s prayer for believers, maybe many of whom he personally had led to belief in the Lord. The Christian mentor does not forget the wonderful experiences with those whom he introduced to the Lord and led them to deeper commitment to His purposes.

In this age of modern communication, we have remarkable ability to keep in touch, to yield a positive influence for good on people we might otherwise not remember unless we see their names on screens. Furthermore, we can invite, through Facebook, to be “friend” to these whom we can now contact easily.

I thank God that even in my “old” age, I have the internet as a means of communication. Six years ago, God led me to study and write daily a devotional which I have shared through e-mail since with many people and more recently on Facebook where persons can read it and have opportunity to comment. To be sure, I take seriously the message I send out and pray that I will be true to the Bible’s teachings and that God will give insight and inspiration to those who take time to read what I write. Because it is by the Lord’s direction that I study, seek His insight and write.

Paul said in his love note to the believers in Philippi (and subsequently to many since as Paul’s letter has been lovingly read from our Bible), “I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus.” He follows this expression of love for them with a prayer that they be fruit-bearing Christians, filled with knowledge and discernment, and blameless before the Lord Christ. How very much he prayed for in this notification of his prayers for the faithful at Philippi. Likewise, we ought also to pray for each other. I take seriously the requests from those I know who say, “Pray for me.” Even this morning, I have written the names of those requesting prayer and have paused to seek the Lord’s blessings for those mentioned and their specific needs. Let us be faithful in praying. God hears and answers our prayers according to His gracious will.

Within the past week, it has been my happy privilege to talk with four delightful college students who strongly feel a call of God upon their lives. They are now in the period of preparation and study, but each of the four has expressed to me their willingness to study hard, to prepare and to be willing to go where God leads them. I was able to share my own testimony of God’s faithfulness and leadership in my life and assured them that patience is needed as well as the sincere desire to follow God. In retrospect, I can look back on my life and know assuredly that God opened doors and gave opportunities that I could not even anticipate. I encouraged these fine young people to seek God’s will, to pray for discernment, to be cognizant of opportunities offered, and to trust Him that He will open the way. Living within God’s purposes in the present and preparing by studying lays a foundation for future accomplishments. We often fret when we cannot see the full picture. But we trust God and wait. He will reveal His plan systematically. One opportunity faithfully assimilated leads to others with which He trusts us.

Prayer: Lord, give us fortitude “to be filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.” Amen. - Ethelene Dyer Jones 10.02.2016

No comments:

Post a Comment