Sunday, August 20, 2017

Joys Come as a Result of Honoring Forebears

Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.”: -Exodus 20:12 (ESV)

The fifth of God’s ten commandments given to Moses for the Israelite people, and for us, who also study, love and seek to follow God’s commandments, teaches us that we should honor parents. Honor means to treat with respect due to their position and role. It means, while we are young, obeying them. And when we grow into adults, to continue to honor and respect them and to love and care for them. This commandment is the only one of the ten with a specific promise: “that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.” This means not “just a long life,” (although that is inherent in the promise), but it can mean, too, a life that is filled with God’s presence and favor.

I am a member of Old Unicoi Trail Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. Twenty years ago, on August 17, 1997, I became a charter and a founding member of that newly-organizing chapter (formed on that day) to serve the areas of Towns, Union and Fannin County in the mountains of North Georgia. I transferred my membership from the Tomocheechee Chapter, NSDAR, Clarkesville, where I had become a new member of National Society Daughters of the American Revolution in 1992. I had traced my ancestry back to John Ingraham of South Carolina, one of three of my ancestors (the other known ancestors serving in the Revolution were John Henry Stonecypher, Jr., Stephen Souther, and Bluford Elisha Dyer, Sr.). Daughters of American Revolution chapters throughout America seek to honor ancestors, and are patriotic and service organizations, not only honoring those who have preceded us but serving the needs of people in a compassionate and caring way in the present. The twentieth anniversary celebration of Old Unicoi Trail Chapter, NSDAR, recalled highlights of two decades of service to our area and highlighted some accomplishments the chapter and its members had made, always with the aim of service to others..

At the celebration meeting of the Old Unicoi Trail’s twentieth anniversary, two were presented awards: the “American Women in History” recognition by National Society, Daughters of American Revolution. Mrs. Shirley Carver Miller, wife of former Governor of Georgia and U. S. Senator, Mr. Zell Miller, was honored at the meeting for her outstanding work with adult education throughout Georgia, and the adult-learning centers that assist interested adults to earn their high school diplomas through the GED (Georgia Educational Development program). And I, Ethelene Dyer Jones, also received the “American Women in History” award for my work in preserving history through my historical preservation work and writing (five books based on local and area history and newspaper columns over a long period of 27 years, with a large percentage being on area history topics).

As I received the distinguished award, I felt unworthy of the honor, but at the same time glad and thankful that I had honored the memory of my ancestors who had fought for America’s freedom, and others since that Revolutionary War period who had stood firmly as patriots and builders of a free nation where we can exercise our freedoms to work and develop an even stronger nation. As I received the award, I was grateful to my own parents for how they had reared me, and my thanks reached back to John Ingraham and other ancestors who had been willing to fight for the freedoms we still enjoy today. “Honor your father and your mother,” a commandment with a promise, indeed.

Prayer: Thank you, God. Your word is true and righteous altogether, being fulfilled to succeeding generations of those who love and follow Your precepts. Amen. -  Ethelene Dyer Jones 08.20.2017

No comments:

Post a Comment