Sunday, February 14, 2016

Lessons from the Psalms: A Special Psalm for Valentine’s Day

My heart overflows with a pleasing theme; I address my verses to the king; my tongue is like the pen of a ready scribe…Your throne, O God, is forever and ever. The scepter of your kingdom is a scepter of uprightness; you have loved righteousness and hated wickedness. Therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.” -Psalm 45:1; 6-6-7 (ESV). [Read Psalm 45].

Posted on a card above my computer are these words from Psalm 46:1 (NASB version) as a reminder to me that in my writing I have a calling, a gift, and I am to use my writing to help and encourage others: “My heart overflows with a good theme…my tongue is the pen of a ready writer.” I pray that these devotionals written daily, poems I write, the weekly newspaper columns I’ve written for almost 26 years now, the books I’ve written or helped to write, and even letters or cards of encouragement will flow from the “pen of a ready writer,” and “overflow with a good theme.” I appreciate those of you who read and “like” on Facebook and others who express gratitude for something that touches you that I have written

On this Valentine’s Day, 2016, I send love to you, and introduce you to a special psalm that says in its added-later title that it is a love song on the occasion of the wedding of one of the kings of Israel. The psalm was sung in worship or at the wedding ceremony for a king, and was used with “the lilies” tune known in those ancient times.

Psalm 45 is a hymn celebrating a royal wedding. We don’t know specifically which of the Israelite kings, but he was one in David’s royal line After 2 Samuel 7:11-16, the line of David was the one appointed through which God would bless His people and carry out the promise to bless the whole world. The Psalm has also been taken as Messianic. In Hebrews 1:8-9, the verses from Psalm 45:6-7 are used to point to Jesus Christ. “But of the Son he says, ‘Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.”

Imagine a wedding day for a beloved king. The ruler is described as a king of beauty, majesty and justice. The scribe, a “ready writer,” able and equipped to write quickly and with ease of words, described the wedding and the reception of the king and his bride. The ruler was one who was highly respected. He held to high ideals and had the characteristics that gave him a noble position.

The Messianic theme is further emphasized in Psalm 45:17 as we see a foretaste of Christ and His kingdom, with His bride, the church, made up of believers in all generations: “I will cause your name to be remembered in all generations; therefore nations will praise you forever and ever.” How we ought to express our love for each other and for the Lord our King on this day of hearts, a day when we consider the true meaning of love and rejoice in loving and being loved. For God is love, and by loving Him we begin to learn how to love others genuinely and deeply. - Ethelene Dyer Jones 02.14.2016

No comments:

Post a Comment