Sunday, May 7, 2017

His Creation Reveals God

The heavens declare the glory of God And the firmament shows His handiwork. Day unto day utters speech, And night unto night reveals knowledge. There is no speech nor language Where their voice is not heard. Their line has gone out through all the earth, And their words to the end of the world.” -Psalm 119:1-4 (NKJV)

Psalm 119, a Psalm of David, begins with a song of praise for God’s magnificent creation. Both the heavens and the earth in His created order reveal the handiwork of Creator God. David sees day and night as revealing, speaking out, about Almighty God who created them. A remarkable benefit of the creation is that in all places in the world the created order testifies to the power and glory of God.

I can recall as a young child looking up to the beautiful mountains that surrounded the valley where I lived. The sky above and the azure line of mountains made me wonder about God’s creation and appreciate the beautiful world in which I lived. I especially liked to see the night sky with the moon and stars. I marveled at the beauty I saw all about me in nature. It turned my thoughts to God the Creator.

Some people worship nature. But nature is a part of the remarkable creation God made, a place He created for man whom He made in His own image. We are not to worship nature and its beauty, but the God who created the beauty for us to enjoy. In John 4:23-24 Jesus taught us: “But the hour is coming and now is, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him.” God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.” (NKJV).

I enjoy singing “This Is My Father’s World” with words by Maltbie D. Babcock (1858-1901) and the music, “Terra Patris” by Franklin L. Sheppard (1852-1930 ):

“This is my Father’s world, And to my list’ning ears,
All nature sings, and round me rings The music of the spheres.
This is my Father’s world, I rest me in the thought,
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas, His hand the wonders wrought.

“This is my Father’s world, O let me ne’er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father’s world, The battle is not done;
Jesus who died shall be satisfied, And earth and heaven be one.”

May the beauty of nature remind us of God who created the heavens and earth and the people who dwell in the place He made for us. “The morning light, the lily white Declare their Maker’s praise.” And so should we! And so do we! Amen! - Ethelene Dyer Jones 05.07.2017

No comments:

Post a Comment