Sunday, May 21, 2017

In Worship: A Refrain of Praise

Give thanks to the Lord for He is good, for His steadfast love endures forever.
Give thanks to the God of gods, for His steadfast love endures forever.
Give thanks to the Lord of lords, for His steadfast love endures forever!
To Him who alone does great wonders; for His steadfast love endures forever.” -Psalm 136-1-4 (ESV). [Read Psalm 136]

Today is a day of worship (although every day we should worship!). I pray you will attend the church of your choice and worship with fellow believers. Worship is important to our spiritual stability and growth. I have enjoyed gathering for worship in all of the span of my years since earliest remembrances in childhood.

Psalm 136 is a worship hymn that repeats the refrain, “For His steadfast love endures forever.” The priest led with the statement giving the list of God’s provision and goodness; the people sang or repeated the refrain. The leader recalls systematically the goodness of God (1-4), the greatness of God in creation (4-9), deliverance from Egypt (10-16), provision of a land in which to live (17-22) and His continuing care (23-26).

As I studied the Psalm, I thought how important it is for us in our worship (whether public or private) to list our own catalog of praise and thank God for His care and provision. It would be good for us, too, like the ancient Hebrew worshipers, to repeat “and His steadfast love endures forever.” Here is a list to follow:
           Praise for God’s goodness
           Praise for God’s creation
           Praise for God’s deliverance
           Praise for God’s provision
           Praise for God’s continuing care
We would also want to add:
           Praise for salvation
           Praise for a place to worship and for fellow with other believers
           Praise for family, comforts of life, productive work, our Christian calling.

I express my prayer of thanks for the above (and more). I, like the psalmist, follow my statement of thanksgiving with “For Your steadfast love endures forever.” Here is a little poem with some of my thanksgivings listed. I repeat after each, as did the Psalmist:
           Hope rises in me like a prayer; (for Your steadfast love endures forever!)
           God, You know my needs for every hour; (for Your steadfast love endures forever!)
           Your hand is strong, Your help is sure! (For Your steadfast love endures forever!)
           I abide in You,God. I feel secure. (For Your steadfast love endures forever!)
Thank You, God, for all of these and so many more blessings! In Jesus’ name. Amen.
- Ethelene Dyer Jones 05.21.2017

No comments:

Post a Comment