Sunday, January 31, 2016

Lessons from the Psalms: In the Lord I Take Refuge

In you, O Lord, do I take refuge; let me never be put to shame; in your righteousness deliver me. Incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily! Be a rock of refuge for me, a strong fortress to save me!” -Psalm 31:1-2 (ESV). [Read Psalm 31}

The 24 verses of this Psalm are a prayer, a lament, from the pen of David, the great Psalm-writer of Israel. Many incidents in his life could be the occasions that inspired this prayer for help from the Lord. He is worn out with trouble and beset all about by enemies. In fact, he may be at the point of death, for in verse 5 he prays: “Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O Lord, faithful God.”

During the month of January, my daily devotionals (posted on Facebook and sent out to many friends by e-mail) have been on the theme of Lessons from the Psalms. I have proceeded, one-a-day-through January, until today we look at Psalm 31. I have tried not to be repetitive to dwell too much on one particular theme. I thank God for His guidance and inspiration in this endeavor, and I can truthfully say that as I have studied a Psalm a day, the Spirit of the Living God has been my teacher.

Today I want to give credit for the organization and outline for Psalm 31 to a great minister of the gospel and Bible teacher whose commentaries on both the Old and New Testament are part of my resources for study. Dr. Warren W. Wiersbe in his Wiersbe Bible Commentary. OT (Colorado Springs: David C. Cook Publishing, 2007, p. 910-912) gives this excellent outline for Psalm 38:
  1. When Others Do Evil, Trust God for His Strength (vv. 1-8)
  2. When Others Cause Pain, Ask God for His Mercy (vv. 9-18)
  3. When Others See the Victory, Give God the Glory (vv. 19-24)
If you study the verses carefully, using Dr. Wiersbe’s outline, you will possibly remember the great truths of this Psalm more readily. The emphasis throughout the Psalm is on taking refuge in the Lord, no matter how difficult the circumstances. He asks God to act speedily in delivering him and to be his Rock and his fortress. When others inflict pain, remember to ask God for His mercy, and the fortitude to bear up under the distress. The Christian way, and following the admonition of Jesus, the one praying would also ask forgiveness for those who inflict the pain. In the last verses of the Psalm, David remembers how abundant God’s protection has been for him and he constantly gives God the glory for victory.

Circumstances in my early life were such that I grew up in a hurry. The time following my mother’s death when I was only fourteen were hard years, not only because I missed her loving counsel, but because I had to “grow up” and assume leadership of a home and caring for other members of my family. The work was hard, both in the house and on the farm. And all the while I had such a determination to go to school and excel in studies. Many were the times I poured out my heart in daily jottings in diaries and journals. Early I formed the habit of reading from the Bible to gain strength, and praying to God for help in time of weakness. My oblations read like David’s laments, a constant crying out to God for His help and strength. I know now that “all things work together for good” (Romans 8:28) and that all of those years of struggle to do what was required of me helped me to grow and develop. Like David in Psalm 31:14-15a, I prayed: But I trust in you, O Lord; I say, ‘you are my God.’ My times are in your hand.”
-Ethelene Dyer Jones 01.31.2016

No comments:

Post a Comment