Sunday, August 7, 2016

Shine as Light in Darkness

Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you.” -Isaiah 60:1 (ESV)
No one, after lighting a lamp puts it in a cellar or under a basket, but on a stand, so that those who enter may see the light. -Luke 11:33 (ESV)

Light? How much does it have to do with peace and harmony? How can I be light in darkness? How can the Light of the World (Jesus Christ, Savior) shine through me?

I recall two distinct instances from my teenage years that had to do with following the Light of the World and His teachings, and seeking to be light myself, as he had commanded me.

When I was a student at Truett McConnell College, I had been elected president of the college’s Young Woman’s Auxiliary (YWA) a missions-service organization. Those YWA Presidents in colleges around the state of Georgia were invited to a retreat (with expenses paid) at a Christian encampment at Clayton, Georgia named Camp Pinnacle. I went gladly for the days of training in methods of how better to lead our college YWA group. The sessions also included intensive Bible study. We heard inspirational speakers giving challenging messages. On the last night there, we gathered by the lake for a candlelight service. We each had a candle securely fastened to a piece of wood so the candle would float. After a challenging message by our speaker, Miss Sarah Stephens, we each were invited to light our candles from a large taper, representative of the light from Christ that He makes available to each Christian. As each participant set her lighted candle afloat, the dark lake began to take on a gentle glow from radiating candles. This simple but profound illustration of individual candles set afloat on a dark lake was representative of the difference a life radiating the light of Christ can make in a dark world. Darkness extinguishes the light of peace and love. But when a person’s light comes from Christ, and His love is shed abroad to others, great strides are made in alleviating the darkness in the world. That experience by Camp Pinnacle that summer night in 1948 helped me to know that God had a special work for me to do in His kingdom. I wanted the light of my life to make a difference to others.

Another remembrance I have is of how the mention of light affected me and subsequent work I would do. I was fifteen years of age, and my high school teacher, Mrs. Grapelle Mock, wanted me to interview our local poet, Byron Herbert Reece so I could write an article about him for our school page in the local paper. His first book of poems The Ballad of the Bones, had just been published by Dutton in New York. Even though Mr. Reece lived in the same community as I, he was suddenly a celebrity, with “The Atlanta Constitution” (newspaper) giving reviews of his book and telling of the recognitions and awards Poet Reece was receiving. Although I knew Mr. Reece, suddenly he had become famous. I felt shy and hesitant to interview him. But with Mrs. Mock’s help, I prepared for the interview with questions and readied myself to do the very best I could with the article I would write about him. Hesitantly, I told Mr. Reece that I liked to write, and had tried my hand at poetry and other literary genres. I was surprised by his reaction. “Don’t hide your light under a bushel,” he said to me. I immediately knew he referred to Jesus’ instruction to His disciples about not allowing light to be hidden but to put it on a candlestand. In that interview, he told me how he kept his poetry secret for years. Then Kentucky poet Jesse Stuart saw one of Reece’s poems, “Lest the Lonesome Bird” published in “The Prairie Schooner.” Stuart got in touch with Reece, asked for more of his poems, and introduced Reece’s poetry to E. P. Dutton publishers in New York. Reece was on his way to having his work recognized by the world. His light was no longer “hidden under a bushel.”

That interview with Reece set a direction for my life. What talents and abilities I have are gifts from God. What light I have to give to the world is also a gift from God. I am not to hide it, but with God’s leadership, I am to share my own light with the world.

I learned this lesson from two significant events in my life: my interview with my neighbor the poet, Byron Herbert Reece, and a quiet, thoughtful devotional with a group of college-age girls chosen for a leadership role and their inspiring leader, Miss Sarah Stephens. Jesus further taught how our light should shine: “Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:33, ESV) -Ethelene Dyer Jones 08.07.2016

No comments:

Post a Comment