Sunday, March 19, 2017

Thoughts, Like Time, Flow with a Good Theme

My heart is overflowing with a good theme;I recite my composition concerning the King;My tongue is the pen of a ready writer.” -Psalm 45:1 (NKJV)

Where does time flow? From here to Mars
Like the wind, it comes, is gone soon;
Quickly, quickly, like falling stars,
Or shadows briefly covering the moon.

Make the most of time,”* the sage’s advice
Falls sometimes on deaf ears.
Interruptions are a cunning device
To steal our time. And then the years

Accrue to fourscore and more,
As I, body aging, mind still much aflame.
When I consider all the days of yore
They seem like yesterday. But can I blame

Time’s passing, like the wind in trees?
The ‘music of the spheres”** is heard;
Some memories, soft as whispers, seized,
Captured in thoughts, in written words.

Inspiration comes, like the wind, rapidly, sometimes raw.
My King, my Lord reminds me that I am but mortal,
With my allotted time, and what these eyes saw
Happen, will soon be subsequent to my earth-life’s portal.

Maybe when I have passed beyond
To mansions somewhere on the other side of the sky,
Many will still read written words and respond
To thoughts preserved and “storied-up” by such as I.
-Ethelene Dyer Jones

Written March 18, 2017, for devotional, March 19, 2017; may we have a blessed Lord’s Day, with worship, prayer and rest.

*“Make the most of time,” shortened from “Make use of time; let not advantage slip.” -William Shakespeare (1564-1616)

**“The music of the spheres,” from “For there is music wherever there is harmony, order or proportion; and thus far we may maintain the music of the spheres; for those well-ordered motions, and regular paces, though they give no sound unto the ear, yet to the understanding they strike a note most full of harmony.”
-Sir Thomas Browne (1605-1682).

--
Ethelene Dyer Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment