Sunday, August 4, 2013

When Severe Illness and Death Come




“Do not be anxious for anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.” –Philippians 4:6 (ESV).

     I could have been younger than eight when I first experienced death of someone dear to me. But I remember several dear kin with serious illnesses that ended in death from the time I was eight and onward.  My first impression of a death that touched me deeply was that of my Great Uncle Dallas, my mother’s uncle, in 1938.  He was a kindly gentleman, wise and interesting to listen to as he told of life as it had been when he was young.  My family liked to visit him.  He became very ill, and although we prayed for him, we got the word of his death.  My mother went to help her cousin Aria, Uncle Dallas’s daughter, make all the arrangements for the “laying out” of the corpse and preparations for the funeral, including cooking for the large crowd of relatives that came from near and far.  My father helped Moody, Aria’s husband, make the homemade casket in which to bury Great Uncle Dallas.  As a young child of eight, observing all this activity at that mountain home, I became aware that, even though the people were sad, they set about the tasks before them with resolve and stoicism.  They seemed to find comfort in talking about the good life of faith Great Uncle Dallas had lived.  Very early, at age eight, I learned of belief and a very important adage that my Christian relatives lived by:  “Thanksgiving is the antidote to worry and grief.”
     Later that same year we learned that my Aunt India, my mother’s older sister, had cancer.  Although Grandfather took her to Downey’s Hospital in far-away Gainesville for help, the doctors at that time did not have adequate treatment for invasive cancer.  She lived a few months, in great pain much of the time.  She died on April 2, 1939, a little more than a month before I turned nine.  I was especially sad at her passing, for she had taught me already how to embroider, and helped me to make a “Dutch Doll” quilt top.  Poor as my beginning stitches were, and as much as I yet had to learn about sewing, Aunt India was a mentor to me.  I was bereft at her passing and wondered how I would ever overcome my grief at such a young age.  But I learned to remember Aunt India’s smile, her words of encouragement, the patience and devotion she extended to me.  I learned to give thanks for the loving life of this “old maid” aunt, sister of my mother, who had loved me unconditionally.
     The next death that affected me greatly came when I was eleven years old.  On December 17, 1941, shortly after Pearl Harbor was bombed on December 7, and the United States declared and entered World II.  My brother Eugene and cousins Clyde and others had volunteered to go into the Army Air Force.  Clyde, who had a car, came to tell us that Grandfather, who had also suffered with dread cancer for several months, had died.  When I saw Clyde’s car approaching our house, I knew that he was bringing news of Grandpa’s death.  Again I had to remember that “Thanksgiving is the antidote to worry and grief.”  During the time of Grandpa’s wake and funeral, I was just one of many of his young grandchildren and other relatives who heard accolades of his life.  Many talked of the good and progressive farmer he was, ahead of his time in progress by installing a Delco power plant to provide electricity for his mountain home; running a country store at which he allowed poor people to have things on credit and loaned money to those in dire financial straits;  having at mill and sawmill at which people ground their corn and sawed logs into lumber; of how well he represented his county as a state legislator.  Grandpa was gone, but his influence and memory lingered on.
     Then came that Valentine’s Day in 1945, with my brother Eugene wounded somewhere in an Army Hospital in Italy, and my mother very ill at our Choestoe home.   I was fourteen when my mother died.  This death was definitely the most devastating I had experienced so far.  Overnight, I grew from a young teenager of fourteen to an adult with more responsibility than my young years could seem to bear.  Since nine I had been a Christian, and already I had developed a strong faith, thanks to good teachers and good Christian examples.  Philippians 4:6 had gratefully become one of my life verses.  At my dear mother’s funeral, our pastor, Rev. Claude Boynton, read and expounded upon Proverbs 31:10-31 as a summary of my mother’s exemplary life.  At that point, sad as I was, I gave thanks for having a godly mother and determined that when I should come to the end of my own life, I would have lived, with God’s help, to be worthy of having the same scripture passage read at my funeral.
     Perhaps this “Insights and Inspiration” piece has been too sad, too personal.  My intention is for it to represent victory, the joy of living an overcoming life, of being able to release anxiety and adopt thanksgiving as a way of life.  A dear younger friend recently wrote, “My tears became prayers that only God could understand and answer.”  What joy can come, even in grief, if we but allow God’s power to shine through.  –Ethelene Dyer Jones  08.04.2013.