Sunday, September 1, 2013

Thoughts about God (A, B, C)



“In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.” – Genesis 1:1 (ESV).
“I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.” – Revelation 21:13.

I would never claim to have any special insight about God the Creator, the Sustainer, the Provider, the God and Father of us all.  I pray to God, I love God, I seek to serve Him, I rejoice that I am one of His own, created in His image, endowed with a spirit that can reach out and communicate with Him.  Recently I’ve read some old journals I’ve written through the years, I found a meditation I wrote July 7, 2001 which I entitled then, “God from A to Z.”  Going through our English alphabet A through Z, I sought to enumerate characteristics of God that I wanted to think upon and understand.

The thought to do this exercise came when I read Revelation 21:13.  I studied classical and New Testament Greek when I was a student of Dr. Edwin Johnston years ago at Mercer University.  Alpha and Omega, the first and last letter of the Greek  alphabet, also stand for “the beginning and the end.”  John, in writing the Revelation, seeking to get to the truth of God, had God remind us:  “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.” –God, A to Z.  Could I seek to draw closer to God, to understanding His nature, if I myself wrote a tribute to God using all the letters of the alphabet?  Rereading what I wrote, and remembering from that time twelve years ago, I realize how inadequate my tribute, how past finding out are God’s ways.  But there are some things we can know about God.  Recorded history began with God.  What we say or write about God must be said in human terms, and in the light of our own personal understanding of Him.  He is unique and infinite, so much greater than our minds and the words expressing our thoughts can reach.  But here are the beginnings of that long-ago meditation; for form, using words of the letters of the alphabet.  For extent—limited to my understanding and my capability of expression.  Since it is long, I will give you a few letters at the time in my tribute to God.  I hope you will write your own meditation and think deeply about the marvelous attributes of a loving, omniscient, omnipotent God who knows each of us by name.

A – God is Almighty, above all and in all.  He is Abba (Father).  He is awesome in all aspects of His nature.  God is ageless and for all ages.  He is the Alpha, the beginning, the One who was and is and forever shall be.  God is alongside me as I write this, encouraging me to anchor my life in Him and ask Him for whatever I need.  He is aware of, awake to, and attentive to each person’s needs.

B—God is beyond our comprehension but at the same time He assures that he is behind us, below us, and bearing us along.  God is benevolent.  His beauty is infinite, His bounty limitless.  He bears long with the belligerence of His created beings.  He is the Burden Bearer.  He is the Beginning and the End.  He is broader than our thoughts can reach, yet He invites us to believe in Him, to know Him and to embrace Him.

C—God is creator.  “Without Him was not anything made that was made.”  He is consistent, “the same yesterday, today and forever.”  He is caring, “for He careth for you.”  He is considerate of the failings and shortcomings of His chosen ones, forgiving and restoring them when we call on Him.

Prayer:  My A, B, C’s, God, fall far short.  But as I offer this tribute, it is from my heart, in gratitude that I serve one who is unique, infinite, limitless and Almighty.  Thank you Lord that You smile on my efforts and continue revealing Yourself to me and to anyone who seeks You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment