Sunday, September 15, 2013

Thoughts about God (H, I, J, K, L)



“In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.” –Genesis 1:1 (ESV)
“I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.” –Revelation 21:13

Continuing to use the alphabet in an effort to learn more about God’s character and nature, we proceed today with the letters H, I, J, K and L.

H – He is God, high over all, who chooses to make His habitation in the hearts of those who hallow His name and honor Him.  He is holy.  He is honored among the people who love him.  Yes, He is honored in all the earth. Even though nations and people go their own ways and fail to honor and exalt Him, He remains the most high God.  He is!

I – He is an inviting God.  Come unto me all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn of me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and you shall find rest unto your soul.”  (Matthew 11:28).  He is the great I am.  He is interested in my welfare.  He invites me to rest in Him.

J – He is the great Joiner, bringing together those who should be joined in like pursuits and joint projects.  He is just in His ways.  He is a jealous God: “Thou shalt have no other gods before Me” (Exodus 20:3).  He brings justice and judgment.  Always, He is just a prayer away.

K – His knowledge fills heaven and earth.  He is all-knowing.  He is kind and tender-hearted.  He keeps that which is committed unto Him.  He is the keeper of His people.

L – He is Love.  His loving kindness is present in the morning and at noon, in the evening and in the night watches (see Psalm 39:7-12).  He created the sun for the day’s light and the moon and the stars for the night’s light.  His presence lingers like His love and His light.  He longs after His children like a Father for his children.  His long arm extends to lift up and to make level when the long journey is leading into difficult places.

Praise be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment